Minors (under the age of 18) provisional permit requirements for California

  • Be at least 15 ½ years old
  • Submit a completed DMV application form(DL 44)-this form can be obtained from the DMV or printed from their web site at
  • Present an acceptable birth date/ legal presence document (i.e. birth certificate)
  • Provide your true full name on the application form(D.L 44)
  • Have your parents or guardians signatures on the application form(D.L 44)
  • Provide your social security number ( having your actual social security card there is not necessary though if you have it with you  it’s a good idea).
  • Pay $26 application fee (will not be refunded).
  • Pass an eye exam (Done at the D.M.V).
  • Have your picture taken (Done at the D.M.V).
  • Present CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION OF DRIVER EDUCATIONyou  will receive this certificate when you finish drivers education with us.
  • Present CERTIFICATE OF ENROLLMENT IN DRIVER TRAINING youwill receive this certificate upon payment for behind he wheel drivers training. If you have paid for a combined package of drivers education and drivers training with Teen Driving Academy then you are issued this certificate of enrollment along with your certificate of completion simultaneously and upon completion of all of your drivers ed course.

Your driver license application is valid for 12 months from the application date. If your application expires then you need to fill out a new application and pay the fee again. Your completion certificates are still valid. So, you can use them again. If you permit expires before you have had the opportunity to take your drive test, then, you will be given credit for the time you had the permit, however you need to present your old permit for verification.

Minor’s provisional drivers license requirement for California

  • Be at least 16 years old
  • Present your CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION OF BEHIND-THE-WHEEL DRIVER TRAINING. This certificate is issued to you when you finish your 6 hours of behind the wheel drivers training by your instructor.
  • Present your CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION IN DRIVERS EDUCATIONif this form was presented to the D.M.V previously then you may not need to present it again, however it’s a great idea to have it with you any way just in case they want to see it again.
  • Have had a California instruction permit for at least 6 months.
  • Provide a parents signature on your instruction permit stating that you have completed the 50 hours of supervised driving practice (10 hours must be night driving) outlined in the parent –teen training guide. Call 1.800.777.0133 to request this form. If you attend our classroom one may be provided to you.

You will need an appointment for your drive test. An appointment can be obtained by calling 1.800.766.7733 or by logging in to the California D.M.V web site

When at the D.M.V you will be asked to show proof that your car is properly insured.
If you fail the drive test you must wait two weeks before you can take the test again-you have three chances to pass the test.

If you pass the test an interim California driver’s license will be issued to you. This license is valid for 60 days.

Restrictions on a provisional driver’s license:
During the first year (12 months) after you are licensed, you can not drive between 11:00pm and 5:00am and you can not transport passengers under the age of twenty unless you are accompanied by your parent or guardian, a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, or a licensed or a certified driving instructor.

Exceptions to the restrictions:
The law allows the following exceptions when reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive. A note is required to explain the necessity and the date the when the driving necessity will end.


  • Medical necessity. The note must be signed by your doctor.
  • School activity. The note to be signed by principal or dean.
  • Employment. the note to be signed by your employer.
  • Immediate need of family member. note to be signed by your parent or legal guardian
  • Emancipated minor.


*you may not work as a driver on a provisional California driver’s license

When you become 18 years old the “provisional” part of your license ends. You may keep the photo license you have or pay a fee for a duplicate license without the word provisional.